Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hooray for Valentine's Day!

   I love Valentine's Day!  I love decorating for Valentine's Day!  And so for the past few days that's what I've been doing!

   Last year during one of our winter thaws I spotted a branch out in our front yard.  It had fallen from the tree and cried out to be saved from the soggy ground.  So I brought it in, tied fishing line to it and hung it from the ceiling.
This is how it looked last year when it was done:



Last year I was all about pink.  (I have three boys...sometimes I just gotta do what I gotta do and last year I was feeling out numbered so I decorated in girly pink!)

How ever this year I was in the mood for red.  and white.  and black. 
The colors just spoke to me!  
I saw a cute idea floating around on line and used it to redo the branch for this year.


I love the way it turned out! 

 We have this odd little wall in the living room that has become one of my favorite focal spots 
due to the fact that my husband built me a mantle so we had a place to put the boys stockings for Christmas.  We decided to leave it as a permanent fixture because it turned out so nice, so now I get to decorate it for Valentine's Day!
And here's how it turned out!  I love it!
 The hanging pom-pom flowers are made from coffee filters and tissue paper.  (how to make them)  The heart garland is made from scrapbook paper and ribbon I had.  
The Love is last years Hobby Lobby clearance and the Family Rules sign has been a fixture in our house for a few years now.  That's its spot.  Right at the end of the room...where my boys see it...every day...to remind them.
It doesn't always work.  We're working on that.

Anyway, Here's a close up of the roses.  I cut them out from some pages of a book I was never going to reread.  It was an OK book, but I think it makes super pretty roses! 


I found instructions how to make the roses here
 
 My oldest son and I made this topiary by cutting red tissue paper into circles and then hot gluing the tissue to a foam ball.  The flower pot was one I had found on clearance at JoAnns.
 
 My son is quite proud of how it turned out.  
(I am too!)

Well that's all I got for now.
I'm going to get back to my hot glue gun and craft glue!
TTFN!



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Here's the link for the instructions that I used for the roses:
      http://simistamper.blogspot.com/2010/02/instructions-for-paper-rose.html
      and the link for the pom-pom flowers:
      http://rhonnadesigns.blogspot.com/2010/02/weekend-craftingdiy-coffee-filter.html

      Delete