Friday, March 9, 2012

Project Night

   Yesterday in science class my middle son learned about density of liquids and how certain liquids can be put in the same container/glass and remain separate (for example water and oil).  So he came home and asked if he could try it again here. He started with water and oil, then added Karo syrup, caramel syrup, milk and Elmer's glue, then he dropped in an eraser, a paper clip and a rubber band.  Fun stuff!  I loved doing those experiments in school.  I didn't get any pictures though.  I was too distracted by the strangeness of his concoction!
   After we got it all cleaned up I showed him an experiment I learned in school with pepper and a bowl of water.  We got a bowl of water and sprinkled a lot of pepper on top. 
    I had him put his finger in and a bunch of the pepper stuck to his finger when he pulled it out of the water. 
    I put some dish soap on my finger and put my finger in the water.  He was surprised when the pepper flew across the top of the water to the edges! We repeated the experiment so he could put dish soap on his finger and make the pepper "run away".
I'm predicting a weekend full of science experiments!  He was quite excited to see if we could find more ideas on line.  I did find one about dissolving an egg shell resulting in a 'naked egg'.  Perhaps we'll try that one!?!
In other news:  I'm totaly in love with Mrs. Meyer Clean Day Basil dish soap!  I love the way it smells, and the way it cleans, and the way it smells! (did I already say that?)  
That stuff is so nice it almost makes washing dishes a "happy" chore!
It remindes me of my great grandma's house!  I love, love, love it!
(Not being paid, asked, or bribed to say any of that.  Just saying what I think!)

That's all for the moment,
Have a happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment